Staying alive in a group project

Staying Alive: Ozzie Killers by Shayla Carl, Molly Badewitz, Laura Broker-Towart, Caitlin Oslen and Myself (all blogs linked at the bottom)

For the game rules, I researched a little more into Sushi Go, as our game was primarily based upon this. From here I gained a basic understanding of the rules, and combined with our own rules that were listed in our shared google doc, the game rules were born. The rules for our game were simple, you’re given a hand of 8 cards, you pick one and put it face down in front of you and then pass your hand to the person on the left. The players then flip their cards to reveal to the other players, this process is then repeated until all the cards are gone. There was also a ‘press your luck’ aspect which means players could pause the game and swap a card from the main deck without seeing the card. In addition to the animal cards, there would be setting cards – land, water, trees. These cards would be either an asset by misusing points or liability by adding points. Although this was a pretty important rule, I think I failed to explicitly mention it in the game rules section, however, it was mentioned in other sections.

When it came to the key game loops section I had no idea. I had a basic understanding but I wanted to make sure I fully understood what I was writing. It was here that I also completed background research. I looked up the definition for feedback loops and read a few articles to and definitions to expand my understanding. Subsequently, I was able to write my section on the key feedback loops of our game. To double check that I was linking our game and the key feedback loops properly I contacted my group and asked their opinions. As a result, I was correct and I carried on with my section.

The contribution I made to the formation of our presentation was having my sections completed a few days before the project was due. I made sure of this so it would be easier for Shayla to put all of our parts together. I uploaded my research onto the corresponding slides on our Canva slide show and recorded myself talking while screen recording my slides.

When it came to creating our prototype, we created cards and play-tested them on a whiteboard before developing our final cards.

When it came to my script and recording the video, I hadn’t timed myself. My original script was 5 minutes long – obviously I needed to cut it down. I had to cut some sections from my script and I believe it was here that I accidentally cut the section on the setting cards out. In any case, after spending a lengthy amount of time trying to cut down my script I managed to speak fast enough and clear enough in the time limit of 2 minutes. 2 minutes was the set timing for each person so that our presentation would meet the requirement of being 10 minutes long.

All in all, the project itself was quite entertaining and I had a lot of fun being involved with group work and creating a game. However, I do think I could have contributed more somehow, I’m not sure what I would’ve done but I writing this blog post I felt like I did not actually do all that much to contribute other than completing my part.

Below I have listed the blogs of the other creators of Staying Alive: Ozzie Killers


https://caitlinolsen.wordpress.com/

One thought on “Staying alive in a group project

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s